Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Monday Made it

Yesterday I spray painted plastic tubs for the first time and discovered I am a very messy spray painter!




Green fingers!

How do you get paint off of rings?



















I should have had my husband take a picture for me to show that I was these colors from my knees down, my feet looked like Smurfett.

I am pretty excited about how everything came out.  I initially planned on painting only my math tubs.
I inherited these from my aunt and uncle with the wooden stand!
My room is mainly Lime greens and teal so the primary colors really weren't working for me at all.  I used them this way last school year and was going to just continue to ignore the color until I learned through fellow bloggers on IG that Rustoleum 2 in 1 paint and primer works on plastic.




Then I found the tool box while buying my spray paint, so that was added to my list.  And while wondering Target the other day I found the 3 drawer file drawers on sale for $7.50 (usually $8.99) and decided they needed some paint too.  I thought I was all done finding things to paint, when I went to visit my parents this weekend.  They had cleaned the garage earlier in the week and found a bunch of directors chairs a family friend had given them.  I couldn't take them all since my mom is a teacher too, but 1 chair was a tall one and didn't match the rest so now I have a directors chair that of course needed to be painted!

The teal and lime green I planned to start with.
All of my goodies to paint!





















I ran out of paint part way through the process, 2 cans is not enough for all of the things I added to my list to paint.  When I went to buy more paint I decided to add yellow to the mix.

This is the only pic I took before running to get more paint.
I want to mention a few things I learned, other than don't stand where the paint will get on your feet or hold the bucket in your hand when painting! 

First, DO NOT spray paint on plastic!  I thought I was being nice to my husband and protecting our grass, but I think I got so messy because of the plastic, and the things were sticking to the plastic.  When I lifted them up, some of the paint around the tubs peeled off the plastic and stuck to the tub. Fortunately my husband had something delivered from amazon partway through this adventure so I was able to steal the huge box. 

Second, if you are going to spray paint a bunch of stuff like I did buy one of these.


It makes it much easier on your fingers, and helps you to move more smoothly back and forth.  It hooks right on the top of the spray paint and can be moved from can to can very easily.

The finished products!
New Math Tubs

Teacher tool box, and 1 of the 3 file drawers for my Monday-Friday bins and Copy/File/Grade bins



Ok, most the way finished.  I need to add the drawer covers I have already made to the toolbox and file drawers.  

All projects are kinda like giving a mouse a cookie.  Now I want to paint the wooden stand for my math tubs, I just need to decide what color, and I want to paint the canvas for the directors chair, maybe even add my name!  My goal is to have them done by next Monday I can post the 100% finished products, in addition to a few other things I started today!

Kelly

5 comments:

  1. Love your colors!! Spray paint is fantastic!!

    Katie
    Smiles from Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bins look great and this post had me cracking up! I found you through the Teaching Blog Circle :) Thanks for linking up. Looking forward to following your blog :)
    Tracey
    The Teacher’s Chair
    Find me on Facebook!Share the Bloglovin’!
    Happy Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way...are you on Facebook? I shared your post and was looking for ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have my personal Facebook at this point, I have been debating creating one for my blog. Just trying to decide what't the best way to do it. I do have an Instagram its BeachTeachbytheLake.

      Delete
  4. Your bins look fabulous! I'm so glad your hubbies Amazon order came in. Perfect timing!

    A Teaspoon of Teaching

    ReplyDelete