Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wordless Wednesday- Classroom Prep

There is officially 1 month and 2 days until school starts again.  Between now and then is my 1 year anniversary, at least 1 trip to Cape Cod, a friends wedding and as much time on the boat as we can manage.  So today while my husband was at work and my stepson was at camp, I went in to school. 

In my family there are more teachers than I can remember (at least 8) and a ton of my friends are teachers (and not just the ones I met at school).  Teachers somehow just find each other.  My family laughs that we can be by ourselves out shopping or somewhere random and find the only other teacher in the building.  I'm sure all teachers think this way since it seems to be true.

Linky Party with Miss DeCarbo



So now my question for Wordless Wednesday..
What do you look forward too the most and the least on the first day you go back into your classroom?

I know I look forward to completing a bunch of creative projects I started at home or had planned.  Just before school ended I bought Teal Chevron contact paper from Amazon for my desk.  My teacher desk is all solid wood right out of the 1930's I think.  It was the only one the school could find when I got hired since I was an added class not taking over for someone who retired or left. 

Before
Such small drawers
So dark, but its real wood so I don't want to paint.

After
So pretty, and much lighter!

Tried to cover the handles but they are a weird shape

Now for the part a never look forward too.  I had some tables get ruined over the summer when they were moved out of the room so the floor could be waxed.    


I'm not even sure how this happened or
how to fix it.

It goes across the whole table!

I have 4 tables like this; Yellow, Red,
Green and Blue

All of the corners look like this.
When I saw them I wanted to cry, especially my awesome kidney table that I covered with dry erase contact paper.  The kidney table I think I might have to completely remove the duct tape and contact paper and redo it.  Now I know for next summer to cover it with a tablecloth or something to protect it. My flower tables are only 2 years old!  They were bought just for my classroom since the room use to be a second grade room and they have desks.  Fortunately I saw the custodian and I asked her what she suggested I could cover the corners with (I was thinking Duct tape if I could keep the kids from peeling it).  She was shocked and is calling the company to see if they have a warranty!  Her guess was the high school kids who work for the town cleaning every summer (awesome kids!) tried to roll the tables since they are soooo heavy.

So for those of you who have already gone back, and those of us who are getting ready to, think and let me know...

 What do you look forward too the most and the least on the first day you go back into your classroom?

As a parting thought, I discovered today my dog can roll her tongue.


Kelly

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to "playing" with all my new things and getting things together for our entry conferences. I don't live close to my school (50 miles 1 way) so I look forward to reconnecting with coworkers. I don't look forward to the many disruptions that will most likely occur when I am working in my room!

    Amanda
    A Very Curious Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 miles is such a far drive! I'm only about 10 minutes away so I like to sneak in over the summer when I won't be as distracted.

      Delete