Thursday, July 17, 2014

My new planner

I am one of those people who has carried a planner literally since I was in 2nd grade.  At that time it was not my idea or plan, but one that my parents and teachers agreed on since I tended to lose things.  This was also in 1992 so kids did not yet carry assignment books for school, or at least at my school they didn't.  I have carried one ever since, having one place to write down everything I need to do and remember is a life saver.  As a teacher this is even more important.

My first year teaching I used a similar format to a few of the other teachers in my building, with 1 page per day.

I found it to be very cluttered, and I am the type of person who needs to see more that just one day.

My 2nd year teaching, last year, I splurged and got a Erin Condren Teacher Planner.  I LOVED this planner, except that it wasn't in the order that I wanted, and I couldn't add pages.

Sorry about the other random clutter
This year I scoured TPT and all of the planners for sale by some amazing teachers until I found one that matched my style and what I was looking for in a planner.  And I bought more than one, but the one that best fit what I was looking for was the Flamingo Planner from Tayna Rae Designs.  She has a few different designs, I just liked the tropical feel of this one.  Initially I planned on having it bound like my EC planner, but since I wanted to be able to move things and add to it I decided instead to use the Arc Notebook from Staples (This is not a review of the notebook system, just one that I felt would fit my needs).  I wanted it printed on a heavy quality paper so it wouldn't pull out too easily so I sent the complete file to Bestvaluecopy.com 


Whats inside?

I decided to take pics to walk through my newest planner. Sorry there's a lot, I just wanted to make sure to show all of the parts to what I consider to be my brain for 10+ months.

Plastic cover from Staples.
I think I need a Monogram or some stickers.

Clear zip pouch with my website address book,
labels, note cards, etc.

Custom cover with planner printed on
heavy paper.

The first few pages have my info
and school procedures. 
I used some blank pages in the planner
to make my seating chart for each month.
My room has 4 hexagon tables these same colors.

Student info pages, and there is a birthday
page I didn't take a picture of.  I love how easy
pages come in and out (class list in my hand)!























































Each section has a cover like this, I just need
to add tabs that I made already.

Year at a glance for long term planning.



















I love this monthly lay out, it is one of the main reasons I chose this planner.  Each month
has an inspirational quote, a section for notes and a small previous and next month calendar.

Between each month there is a spot for notes
for the month.

I use this section for the year long curriculum
our district created.
Districts ELA year long plan broken down
by week.
The section I use the most.




















My daily schedule, and a page for schedules on short day, 2 hour delay and 3 hour delays.
We don't get our schedule until teachers start back in August.

This is my other favorite page, I love that the day goes down rather than across.
Once we get our schedule I'll use labels for subjects rather than write them each week.

Our district gives DRA's 3 times a year,
along with a few other assessments.

I used this section in my EC planner much
more than I expected so I included a bunch
of checklist pages.

I included a ton of these too since I ran out
in my EC planner fast.

Cover for the CCSS.  The standards are
all on the cute flamingo paper too!

A few plastic pockets, already filling up with
projects for the new school year.

My district calendar in a sheet protector,
I put about 5 in for now but since I can add
pages to the rings not sure if I will need them.

The quote was part of the Planner pack, I decided to print it on heavy paper for the back cover.

I hope you found some new ideas, I are inspired to set up your own planner!  

Kelly



2 comments:

  1. I have used several planners too!! Unfortunately I usually don't stick with them:( That is why I haven't splurged for an EC planner yet. I just can't justify spending the money if I'm not going to use it.

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after browsing through many of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m definitely happy I discovered it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete